The content of the Early Years Services Page is maintained by the Powell River Early Years Committee.
“The Early Years Planning Table is comprised of a dedicated group of professionals who meet to improve services and programs for families with children aged 0-5. The EYPT has representatives from PRCYFSS, MCFD, SD47, Tla’amin Nation, Vancouver Coastal Health, inclusion Powell River, CCRR, Success by 6, PREP, and United Way.”
SD47 Virtual Strong Start Weekly Newsletter can be found here:
Mental Health and Health Resources for Parents:
- Government of BC Mental Health Resources Guide Website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/managing-your-health/mental-health-substance-use/virtual-supports-covid-19
- Anxiety Resources: https://www.anxietycanada.com/
- Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) has launched an online free mental health program called Kelty’s Key. A link to the site is: https://www.keltyskey.com/
- Powell River Divisions of Family Practice publishes newsletters- Doctor’s Notes: https://mailchi.mp/divisionsbc.ca/2020july6?fbclid=IwAR2Mj9bjJdXGolt6koNVX99UcN1qBHr6K4b6amlIOF4ZbwLdnWNbx0O4AXw
What is Social and Emotional Learning?
Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) is a critical component to the healthy development of young children – impacting how we process emotions, achieve goals, maintain positive relationships and make responsible decisions in our lives.
(see www.selmatters.ca for more information on Social and Emotional Health in Children)
The brochure in the link below is entitled: “Family Resources for Young Children” and gives information on how to connect with resources that support your child’s social and emotional learning in the Powell River Community.
Social Emotional Topics For Early Years
Screen Time and Young Children
Here are current recommendations on screen time for young children:
Maintaining Safety Online
Here are recommendations for maintaining safety online for older children and youth:
Confident Parents is a phone-based coaching program for parents to help their children aged 3-12 years to manage either behaviour or anxiety challenges. For more information see:
Early Years Organization Information
School District 47 Early Learning https://www.sd47.bc.ca/Programs/earlylearning/Pages/default.aspx
Powell River Child Youth Family Services Society
Tla’amin Nation Health Services
Vancouver Coastal Health
Care Facility Licensing
Powell River Employment Programs
inclusion Powell River
Child Care Resource and Referral Powell River – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Childcare Search: https://pacific-care.bc.ca/?page_id=13543
Ministry of Children and Family Development
- Reporting Child Abuse or Neglect: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/public-safety/protecting-children/reporting-child-abuse
- Become a foster parent: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/family-social-supports/fostering/why-foster-in-bc/how-to-become-a-foster-parent-in-bc
- Children and Youth with Special Needs: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/managing-your-health/healthy-women-children/child-behaviour-development/special-needs
- Childcare subsidy: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/family-social-supports/caring-for-young-children/running-daycare-preschool/child-care-subsidy
Extra Support out of Powell River
For new parents!